couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: wiki choice: moinmoin vs confluence
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 17:13:23 GMT
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:58:44PM -0700, Jens Alfke wrote:
> I agree; it's pretty unpleasant to use. I've been contributing to it intermittently for
over a year but it's always a chore.

+1

[snip]

> We use Confluence internally at Couchbase, but in practice people don't seem very happy
with it — informally, it looks to me like people here use private Github wikis and Google
Docs a lot more for internal docs. The usual complaint I hear is that it's too complicated,
and too hard to find things in.

> But it's better than MoinMoin, and it integrates with Jira, so I'd be in favor of switching.
(Not that I have any sway around here.)

Basically, I agree with this. GH wiki is a very low barrier to entry,
but only when GH is the version control system of default. With ASF's
web git infrastructure not rendering Markdown/Textile/whatever, using
text-based wiki conversion is not as motivational.

I've used Confluence on and off for about 8 years. Recently, they've
removed the "wikitext editor" which is a step backwards for coders like
us, but makes contribution by non-technical people a lot simpler.

I'd be +1 on moving to Confluence and could probably spare a Saturday to
help migrate content. The trick to making a good Confluence wiki is the
information architecture, and clear guidelines on where to put content.

There are some add-on macros that will build a dynamic index of pages
with a given tag, for instance, and some that provide improved
formatting.  There's even some workflow stuff if we wanted to show that
a page was +1'ed by a committer. It'd be good to get a sense from ASF
Infra all the plugins currently available, and their openness to new
plugins.

--
Joan Touzet | joant@atypical.net | wohali everywhere else