couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Information regarding bugs!
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 15:35:35 GMT
Hi Pavan!

In my opinion COUCHDB-1735 is superseded by COUCHDB-1736.  If we have an aliasing system then
a rename can be something like an alias creation and deletion.

In the description on COUCHDB-1735 Dave mentions that the BigCouch code may complicate this
feature addition.  I'm biased, but I actually think it provides a really nice place to implement
it.  In the BigCouch world every logical database has a "partition table" that lists the names
and locations of the shard files that comprise it.  That partition table is stored as a document
in a special system DB which is replicated to every node in a cluster.

I believe we can implement aliases as partition table documents that either point to the "canonical"
partition table document for the DB (the "ln" option) or else list the original shard names
explicitly (the "cp" option).

Does that make sense?