couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Git workflow
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:51:49 GMT
Thanks for kicking this off, Bob!

Option 1 would require us to change how we think about master. If a release
is ongoing (which will almost certainly be the case, month over month) then
work is going to need to be merged when it is okayed by the release manager.

In this scenario, to  we might want to consider some sort of integration
branch, or "develop" branch that you can merge your feature branches back
into, while master is being used for release prep.

Option 2 sounds promising, because there is less risk that we're going to
re-invent the wheel (badly). It might also make it easier to attract
contributors if we're using a known model.

I'm not a Git pro, so my contributions to this thread are going to be more
of the "what about X?" nature. I had a look at Gitflow, and I can't readily
see how maintenance branches would work.

The author suggests that release branches are discarded once you make a
release. But we need to account for the fact that at any one time, we will
have 4 active release branches. 1.0.x, 1.1.x, 1.2.x, and 1.3.x, for
example. We need these to backport fixes, etc.

Further reading:

https://github.com/nvie/gitflow

http://jeffkreeftmeijer.com/2010/why-arent-you-using-git-flow/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2621610/what-git-branching-models-actually-work

What are other projects using? Node, for example. Any other big projects
that use Git. It might be a good idea to borrow from one of these projects,
especially if there is some established thing that is shared amongst lots
of them. Sort of how we're using Tom Preston-Werner's semantic versioning!

Hoping somebody with more skin in the game (i.e. doing / or planning to do
a lot of coding) and more experience of Git (I only learn how to rebase
recently) decides to run with this and come up with a proposal that we can
all vote on. Perfect opportunity for someone to do a bit of project
leadership!

--
NS