couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The BigCouch merge, CouchDB 2.0, 3.0 and later
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:37:43 GMT
I think our roadmap process answers this:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process

Let me know if you think we need something more than this...


On 2 April 2013 00:40, Wendall Cada <wendallc@apache.org> wrote:

> One item missing from this is support of existing versions. I'm not sure
> if a timeline exists for this, but it should be well understood what the
> support window will look like for old versions.
>
> Wendall
>
>
> On 03/30/2013 12:29 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It is time to think about how to square the upcoming changes to CouchDB
>> and the next releases.
>>
>> Robert Newson and I hashed out this plan:
>>
>> 1. Compile a list of API changes between now and after the BigCouch merge
>> (https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/COUCHDB-1756<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1756>
>> ).
>> 2. Ship CouchDB 1.4.0 with a `X-CouchDB-Deprecated: true` header for
>> features that will go away.
>> 3. Ship CouchDB 2.0.0 with the API changes done, so it is API compatible
>> with the BigCouch merge.
>> 4. Merge BigCouch and ship that as 3.0.0.
>>
>> Spread over our new quarterly release schedule:
>>
>> Early April: 1.3.0.
>> Early July: 1.4.0. With API deprecation warnings.
>> Early October: 2.0.0. With API changes.
>> Early January: 3.0.0. With BigCouch.
>>
>> Alternatively, we can ship 1.4.0 and 2.0.0 concurrently, so the BigCouch
>> merge work doesn’t get a chance to get stale:
>>
>> Early April: 1.3.0.
>> Early July: 1.4.0. With API deprecation warnings.
>> Early July: 2.0.0. With API changes.
>> Early October: 3.0.0. With BigCouch.
>>
>> Monthly minor- and patch-level-versions will continue as usual.
>>
>> If we want to ship new features before BigCouch but after 1.4.0, we can
>> roll 1.5.0 / 2.1.0 before 3.0.0.
>>
>> Anything up to the BigCouch merge should be trivial, so we can be
>> confident we get that right (modulo forgetting to deprecate something). If
>> the actual technical issues to get BigCouch merged aren’t done by October
>> in the way we are satisfied with shipping, we can wait to ship 3.0.0 until
>> we think it is ready.
>>
>> In an ideal world, if 2.0.0 and BigCouch merge are API compatible, we
>> *could* ship BigCouch in say, 2.5.0 or something, but I think the
>> underlying things change enough to warrant a full major version increase.
>>
>> The only open question I’d have is how to square that against the ongoing
>> work on bringing rcouch in. I hope Benoit can comment on this.
>>
>> Bikeshed away! :)
>>
>> Jan
>> --
>>
>>
>


-- 
NS

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message