couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: GSoc 2013!
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:15:45 GMT
On 29 April 2013 04:43, Pavan Sudheendra <pavan0591@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working at Cisco India and i'm really interested in contribute to
> CouchDB as a part of GSoC 2013.

Hi Pavan,

Welcome -- that's great! You can either pick your own topic (like what
you have proposed) or consider one of the ones we've published which
were taken from our feature roadmap at
https://s.apache.org/welcome_couchdb_gsoc2013

> I work with CouchDB and it is fantastic. So, this is the right time to give
> back to the community i feel.
>
> I was interested in the issue: providing internal and user facing
> statistics..
>
> Can anybody recommend what are the right steps to go about doing this?
>
> --
> Regards-
> Pavan

As Bob's said we already have some functionality available, but this
could obviously be extended. I have a partial fork at
https://github.com/dch/couchdb/commits/metrics which allows sending
the same statistics from the API /_stats to graphite, so you can see
where the hooks are today. In discussing that commit, we decided it
would be better if the destination would be pluggable. i.e. use
folsom, graphite, librato or something else at your discretion and
only need to write the extension module. I've had some thoughts about
this but not come up with a working solution yet.

What sort of additional metrics would you like to add? Or are you
tempted by some of the other ideas? We'd love to have you onboard.

Bob & I are both on IRC most of the time, so feel free to pop into
#couchdb-dev again and have a chat.

A+
Dave