couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: EventSource periodically dumps db contents.
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:31:40 GMT
Setting timeout and heartbeat to the same value is going to lead to
exactly what you're seeing.

The timeout setting is how long, without an event, the connection will
stay open.

The heartbeat setting is how long to wait, without an event, before
sending a newline character to keep the connection from timing out.

What you're seeing is that the timeout happens before the heartbeat,
since both are happening approximately simultaneously.

Just set heartbeat=5000 and rely on the timeout default of 1 minute,
or specify timeout to whatever multiple of heartbeat you find useful
(as long as it's more than one).

B.

On 17 April 2013 10:29, Stephen Bartell <snbartell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok heres a test script.  Have a couch serving localhost:5984 in admin party mode.
>
> git clone https://github.com/snbartell/couch-es-test.git
> cd couch-es-test
> npm install
> node index.js
>
> My theory of a second source crashing couch was wrong.
>
> I think I know whats going on.  My script above acts just like the browser does.  When
the `timeou`t is reached and `heartbeat` !== `timeout`, the EventSource module (whether its
the browser or the node package) will restart the feed.  This is why every `timeout` ms the
feed __appears__ to by dumping all the docs since `since`.

> curling works fine. Try this after running the above script and leaving the test db in
place.  I expect this behavior.
>      curl "http://localhost:5984/source1/_changes?since=2&feed=continuous&timeout=5000&heartbeat=5000"
>
> So then it comes to using this in Chrome console.  If you go to the couch you ran the
script against,  open the console, and paste the following:
> var source1 = new EventSource('/source1/_changes?feed=eventsource&timeout=5000&heartbeat=5000')
>
> Watch the Network panel.  It looks like EventSource does not pass the query params.
I'm probably being an idiot and not calling it correctly.  I googled around and couldn't find
the api.  Does someone have a link?

> Still though, if I call EventSource without `timeout` and `heartbeat`, then couchdb will
use the defaults of 60000 each.  Then, with `timeout` === `heartbeat`, the connection should
be kept alive, right?

> Thanks guys,
>
> Stephen
>

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Stephen Bartell <snbartell@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 16, 2013, at 11:13 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

the fundamentals to be the same as well.  What I was see is that even without `since` given,
no changes would come through until that second source was added.  Once the second source
is added, then all sources periodically dump.