couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Git workflow
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:37:01 GMT
Hi,

We need to agree on how we will use Git effectively to support our new
regular release cadence. The motivating questions are how we handle
branches during feature releases (a.b.0) and how we handle branches
for maintenance releases (a.b.c).

I present two options to get this rolling but these are not the only
choices, please suggest your own if neither suit.

1.

Master is always releasable. All work occurs on feature or fix
branches and is merged to master only after tests confirm that it
works.

A feature release (of form a.b.0) is tagged directly on master. A
branch is made from that tag called a.b.x (where x is a literal x)

A maintenance release of form (a.b.c) is made on the a.b.x branch and
almost always consists of backported or cherry-picked work from
master. It is anticipated that some novel work will occur on these
branches but only to fix bugs never to add features.

2.

Use Gitflow.

Other suggestions are welcome and feedback on these is very welcome.
Consider this urgent as we need to begin the 1.4.0 release.

B.