couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Binaries for 1.3.0-rc.3
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:08:28 GMT
It is a user experience nightmare.

Steps to intall a zip app:

1. Download
2. Double Click (in Safari downloads, in the downloads springload in the Dock or in the Finder)
3. Double Click the resulting .app.

Steps to install a dmg app:

1. Download
2. (if automount is enabled), navigate to a Finder with a sidebar. (if not, double click)
3. Open the mounted disk image.
4. copy/move the app to /Applications or whereever // insert rant about sidebar-less Finder
window configuration.
5. Eject the dmg.

If at 4, people just open the app, they can’t unmount the image (5) and the app is trapped
there forever. On top of that, why add a confusing layer of complexity for no good reason?

The .dmg is a horrible cargo-cult from the early days of the Mac’s history and has been
discouraged for a very long time (let it be 2004). I’m happy to dig up a few old articles
that discuss this in more detail, but I hope this suffices.

tl;dr: no benefits, horrible user experience, lets not cargo-cult.

Best
Jan
--

On Apr 16, 2013, at 15:32 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Any reason, Bob? I'm trying to understand what the facts are. Without
> knowing what the pros and cons are, I am unable to hold any opinion on the
> subject. All I know is that every app I ever download for OS X comes with a
> .dmg. CouchDB is the only app I have downloaded on my current laptop that
> expands from a .zip file. That's enough to make me question our choice. But
> I really don't have any other information on the subject.
>

> On 16 April 2013 14:28, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> +1 for keeping .zip.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On 16 April 2013 14:26, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote: