couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Committer nominations welcome
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:01:04 GMT
Dear community,

I believe we have done a poor job of recognising merit in this project. As
a PMC member, I would like to apologise to you for that. Over the course of
this year, I hope to rectify the situation. But I need your help.

I would like to invite the whole community to start making committer
nominations to the PMC.

The sorts of things we're looking for:

 * Ability to work co-operatively with peers
 * Ability to mentor others
 * An understanding of community
 * Positive, helpful attitude
 * Repeated contribution to the project

Committers do not have to be coders, despite the title. A committer is
someone with recognised merit within the community. That's the long and
short of it. Naturally, being a software project, most committers are also
coders.

But you can earn your commit bit by:

 * Doing QA work
 * Helping out on JIRA, doing triage
 * Helping people out on the mailing lists or on IRC
 * Contributing to the wiki or docs
 * Blogging, organising meet-ups, or giving presentations
 * Doing community out-reach or evangelism

And, of course, submitting patches is good too... But is by no means
required!

So, please ask yourself:

 * Is there someone who's helped you out before, or who is doing a lot of
good work, who isn't currently a committer? If so, please send an email to
private@couchdb.apache.org and tell us why you think they should be a
committer.

 * Are you put off because you don't know Erlang? Me too! I've not written
a single line of Erlang for CouchDB, and I've been a committer for half a
decade. See the next bit of this email...

If you are interested in learning, we have the
erlang@couchdb.apache.orglist. That is a dedicated resource for people
wanting to learn Erlang with
CouchDB. The core devs are here to take you through the code, and get you
started.

But if you're not interested in learning Erlang, do any of the other areas
of contribution sound like your thing?

Great! Let us know about it. Or better yet, just start doing it. There is
no need to check with anybody before you start doing something. Just post a
note to this list with an outline of what you propose to do, and then start
doing it. If people have a problem, they will speak up.

This is how I try to operate. I get an idea about something which would be
good for the project (like this email) and I just do it and hope it doesn't
upset anyone. There is no special status needed to do this. We can all do
it! The only thing a committer can do that a non-committer can't do is
check code directly into the repository.

Everything else is wide open... So what are you waiting for? ;)

Thanks,

--
NS