couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments threads on Github
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:31:35 GMT
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the way we do things at
Apache, Matt. But there are very good reasons for all of these things. And
I am happy to talk to you about them, if you're interested?

We keep things on our own infrastructure so that we are vendor neutral, and
so that we can assure the provenance and longevity of the work we are
doing. This is exceptionally important for an organisation like the ASF.

We try to keep everything on the mailing lists, similarly, because that
helps to cement the community around a single channel of information. It is
expected that every committer on the project reads the developer mailing
list, as well as the commits mailing list. This way, you can be sure that
if you have something important to say about development, you can post it
there, or check it in to Git, and the committers will see it. There is no
such requirement for participating or monitoring Github, or Google+, or any
other supplementary community. That is why we must make sure that
conversations are mirrored back to the one place we know that everybody is
watching. This is not an attempt to stifle activity away from the mailing
list. It is an attempt to make sure that people can subscribe to the
mailing list and receive all the necessary information they need to
contribute to the project.

(My wording in my original email in this thread was very unfortunate, and I
regret sending it now. I apologise for it. I was making an assumption about
the solution, instead of talking about the problem. The problem was not
that things were happening on Github. The problem was that the activity
wasn't being sent back to the mailing list which we know everybody reads.)

I'm also sorry to hear that the mailing list is too high traffic for you.
It is my personal experience that the CouchDB lists are moderately light in
traffic. But I suspect I am not your typical mailing list subscriber, in
that regard. ;) One option is to filter the list. That might be filtering
out things you are not interested in, or filtering specifically for things
you are interested in.

Also, you are perfectly free to talk about CouchDB wherever you want. And I
really hope I haven't given you the impression that this would be a bad
thing, or that anybody would perceive it in a negative light. Benoit's idea
for the Google+ community was a great one, for instance. But now we have a
conversation about how to mirror some of that content back to this lists.
(Again, because the lists are the project's "virtual office" if you will,
and we form our community around them.) This doesn't mean Google+ is a
bother, and I wish it would go away. In fact, having to worry about this at
all is something I would class as a Good Problem.

I am sorry you feel like the Foundation's policies are beurocratic and
poorly explained. For what it's worth, when I first joined, I also felt
like this. Over time, I figured out the bits that were not in the docs
(which are often poorly organised) and started to understand the logic
behind why we do things this way. So if you wanna chat about it, just lemme
know what causes you the most pain.

I guess the main doc that you should read is this one:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

That sets things out in very broad strokes.

Again, I am sorry for your frustration. Obviously, we have to follow ASF
policy, because we are an ASF project. But if something truly did not make
sense for us, we can change it. The reason we even use Git now is because
that made sense for us, and people like Paul worked very hard to introduce
that to the Foundation in a way that would play nicely with everything else
here.

The policy is not meant to be here to frustrate. And it is certainly not
meant to be here to shut down activity happening on Github. My email was
poorly worded, and I think you should open your PR again. :) Sorry if it
felt like I was picking on you. I actually think your PR is a very good
one, and is exactly the sort of thing we should be doing. One of my plans
post-1.3.0 was to convert all of our top level documentation (README, etc)
into a format so that we look very nice on Github.

Please, if you have any questions, just let me know! Happy to help!

--
NS