couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals for 2013
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:54:28 GMT
Agreed. Thanks for the honest feedback. Massively appreciated.

I have been very frustrated with the 1.3.0 release. It was, and still is,
supposed to be the first of our regular releases. Unfortunately, the
release was mired with a raft of CVEs that came first, and then some thorny
blockers. Not making excuses. I felt the pain of this as much as anybody
here who cares about making this work.

I've spent the last few weeks putting work in, and actually coming up with
an entirely new release procedure (which I will be announcing in tandem
with the release, in a day or two) that should address these problems. Most
significantly, I am moving the test suite to the voting stage, which will
allow me to cut and call votes very quickly.

So, from my perspective, we are just about to emerge from release hell, and
I have my eye firmly on the next three quarters. As I mention in my
original email, basically, most of this hinges on activity. And activity
hinges on releases, as you say. But I've already put a lot of thought into
that, and I wanted to invite the community to start thinking about the
other things we can start to address. I think these things are important
too.

Here's an example, look at the burn-down chart for tickets:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CouchDB

Abysmal.

How do we solve it? Sure, release will stimulate activity. But again, this
is a known quantity. And I hope. Oh God, I hope. That we're going to nail
that one. So I am left asking, from my POV, what else?

Well, the stuff I put in my email, I guess. I have a big backlog of project
management stuff to get through. Things I want to bring to the list. Things
that should hopefully get easier as activity picks up.

Perhaps some of these are things you might be interested in? One of the
things we really really desperately need is someone to organise and run a
JIRA triage team. The goal being, I think, to just keep an eye on JIRA,
field incoming tickets, close them out where appropriate, or categorise and
assign them otherwise.

We also need a docs team. And a marketing team. And a PM team. These teams
might just be one person to begin with. But I think we need someone to step
up to the plate and say "I will look after this."

There are lots of ways to contribute that don't involve Erlang. I don't
know Erlang. :)

Again, I think some metrics would be a good idea. For example, if we say,
okay, well, we want to double our committership by Q4. That invites a
conversation. How do we do that?

These are important questions to be asking!

--
NS