couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments threads on Github
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:43:40 GMT
Yeah, probably. I have a love/hate relationship with most technology.
Mailing list software is no exception. It sort of gets the job done, but
could be better in many respects. It's what we have though, so it's up to
us to figure out how to make the most of it.

Something that keeps me sane is that I absolutely do not read all the
emails posted to all the lists I am subscribed to. I make heavy use of
Gmail's "important" feature. Anything that is marked as important, I will
read. (And de-classify as important if I find it boring.)

About once a day, or once every few days, I go through the backlog of mail
that is marked as unimportant. I do this by subject, and I do it very
quickly. If something looks uninteresting, I mark it, and mute it, and I
don't see it again. After I've whittled away like 90% of those emails by
subject and snippet alone, I will go through and quickly skim the rest.
Occasionally stopping to read one of the interesting ones.

That's just my workflow, though. TL;DR spend your attention wisely. :) As
someone on the PMC but who doesn't know Erlang, I obviously have a profile
of email that I am interested. I make sure I read those, and I skim the
rest.

Committers should be subscribed to the dev mailing list, but they by no
means have to read every email on it! And if you're not a committer, then
this doesn't even apply to you. But obviously, if you're doing interesting
work, then we want to find a way to get that onto our list. (Even if that's
done via some sort of automation or curation.)

--
NS