couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] New release procedure
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 01:42:22 GMT
Hello devs,

I would like to propose a new release procedure:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_Procedure

This proposal will pass on lazy consensus, so speak up if you want to
object.

How this differs from the old release procedure:

1) Code level tests (CLI, etap, etc) have been removed. The test procedure
has been updated to include an additional "make distcheck" step. This will
allow release candidates to go up very quickly, and puts the onus on you
guys to test things thoroughly.

2) The hashing and signing step has been split out from the build. This
allows the build to take place on a remote host that is not trusted with
your GPG key. I have also added an explicit step for checking
the authenticity of the tarball that is produced.

3) As much as possible has been automated. The scripts are a bit rough and
ready, but they will do, provided you follow the instructions precisely.
Once again, the hope is that this will make releasing less burdensome for
the release manager.

Please take the time to review the document, and to review the scripts.

The scripts are in the couchdb-admin.git repository:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SourceCode

Please take the time to review these also.

The release procedure, and indeed the scripts, are not finished. They never
will be. I will be updating them over the next day or two, and during the
1.3.0 release. But they are finished enough that I am comfortable making
this proposal to the list.

Also, sorry for the noise. Testing against Subversion is... Tricky. :)

Thanks,

--
NS