couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:39:45 GMT
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> In an attempt to rescue the last thread I started, I am separating out a
> discussion item.
>
> I propose that we send Github new comment notifications to the dev list.
> These would be triggered every time somebody comments on a pull request
> that is made against the apache/couchdb repository. This will give us
> oversight that we currently do not have, and should enable more active
> participation by the community.
>
> This is an experimental step forward, to see if it works for us or not. It
> is being done in the spirit of other similar proposals this month, such as
> highlighting important Google+ content, and bringing it to the list, so
> that it can enjoy a wider audience.
>
> If it does not work, we can disable the functionality or make further
> improvements.
>
> You do not have to respond if you think this is a good idea. In 72 hours I
> will assume lazy consensus.
>
> Please think carefully before you -1 this suggestion. If we send new
> comment notifications to the list, and they are obviously annoying, or they
> are not working out, or they start to encourage interaction that is
> unhealthy for the project, anyone is free to make the proposal that we
> disable them. I am just wanting a green light to start this experiment.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> NS

+1 :) "try a lot of things, keep what works"...

and in the spirit, has anyone (who has admin rights on the github project)
explored the service hooks as an initial attempt? the email service hook
and/or webhooks? that's potential low-hanging fruit (e.g. no scripting) and
*might* work for the 1-way pushes.

do the simplest thing that could possibly work.