couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject Re: Comments threads on Github
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:02:47 GMT
One of the points from later last week that I'm both grateful for, and wish
to acknowledge:

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> On 15 March 2013 20:13, matt j. sorenson <matt@sorensonbros.net> wrote:
>
> > What I get back is "this is what we've always done, so this is what we'll
> > always do", which is fine.
> >

> I think that's a little unfair, Matt.
>
> Admittedly, my first instinct is to say "this is policy, it's not changing,
> suck it up." But only because explaining policy takes time, and well, I am
> a pretty lazy person. But I very specifically went out of my way so as not
> to prop up my arguments by saying that they were policy and therefor were
> beyond reproach. I explained what our goal is wrt communication, and why
> the mailing list policy supports that goal. And even made it explicit that
> policy can be changed. (Just to make DOUBLE sure, in my own mind, that I
> was not resting on the "this is how we've always done it, so this is how
> we'll always do it" line of argument.)

Noah - with complete sincerity, thank you for calling me on this.

I was perhaps, a tad overzealously propping up my ideals and
belaboring some ASF policy fluff that was new to me, that I
wasn't actually familiar with, and most importantly that I,
after some reflection, realize has no meaningful or detrimental
effect on my ability to contribute to and participate constructively
in the CouchDB project.

Noah, Jan, and many others do a terrific job of making this a
welcoming community. Here on the list, in irc, on github, g+, at
the bottom of the ocean, on the moon, mars, etc etc

THANK YOU ALL!

> > And I apologize if I'm rocking the boat too much.
> >

> CouchDB is a do-ocracy. And that includes boat-rocking.

Another point that you and others have impressed time and
again. I <3 do-ocracies! :D and count me in to *do* whatever
I am able to make couchdb better.

> --
> NS

cheers