couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Summary of IRC meeting in #couchdb-meeting, Wed Mar 27 20:09:05 2013
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:50:44 GMT
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM, ASF IRC Services <
asfbot@wilderness.apache.org> wrote:

> 3. 1.2.2
>   a. someone explain xylophone (Wohali, 3)
>   b. ship 1.2.2 (jan____, 3)

"Xylophone" is single word, a compression, of a complex, subtle idea.

The goal of xylophone is to return immediately to the original conversation
without any social stigma or discomfort.

"Xylophone" means, "With respect, this conversation has reached diminishing
returns. While I acknowledge its importance, I propose that we table it and
pop the conversation stack, back to the more urgent issue."

The key to xylophone is, nobody loses face. Nobody is accusing anybody of
any wrongdoing, of wasting time, of being unprofessional. Nothing like
that. An individual may utter the word, but xylophone is a mantra the group
tells itself. Nobody is keeping score.

When somebody invokes "xylophone," proper etiquette is to **immediately**
halt the conversation--mid sentence even--and return back to the main
discussion. Remember, xylophone is not an accusation. There is no shame in
being xylophoned. (Carrying on the less-urgent discussion,
however--**that** is shameful.)

There are regional dialects. People in the San Francisco Bay Area say
"Styrofoam."

--
Iris Couch