couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code topics
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:00:42 GMT
On 29 March 2013 00:47, Olafur Arason <olafura@olafura.com> wrote:
> 22. _changes feed for views on https://gist.github.com/rnewson/2387973 is
> already supported.
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.couchdb.user/14891
> so /mydb/_changes?filter=_view&view=mydesign/my_view
>
> I only recently stumbled on this.
>
> Regards,
> Olafur Arason

Hi Olafur,

This feature only allows you to write your code once, instead of both
view and filter, even if they're the same code actually. The
evaluation for views or filters currently is still separate.

Ideally, replication, views, and filters would be able to share a
common index (the view) and thus avoid any evaluation effort for
processing. Once the view was updated, you'd just ask couch to "gimme
any docs that match *** in the view" and then internally couchdb would
refer back to the already calculated view.

Sorry my explanation isn't better but I hope that clarifies the difference!

A+
Dave