couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: allow style=main_only on the source feed when replicating
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:55:05 GMT
On 22 March 2013 22:10, Stephen Bartell <snbartell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if it would be an issue to simply not allow the conflicts and deleted_conflicts
to not propagate.

> This would be useful when trying to repair a db which has many conflicts and deleted_conflicts
by:
>   a) replicate wounded db to a new db with style=main_only
>   b) delete wounded db.
>   c) replicate new db back.
>
> I'm using this approach to clean up dbs with loads of deleted_conflicts and it seems
to work real well.

> Thoughts??
>
> Best
> Stephen Bartell

Hi Stephen,

I can see the need and I think the functionality would be useful.
However I am not keen on exposing that directly in the HTTP API as it
would be almost certainly used in a way that will cause unsuspecting
people data loss, unexpectedly. And that's not our style.

We've discussed previously a couchdump / load tool, possibly closer to
the metal than HTTP API, that would allow a platform and version
independent way of storing couchdb data. If this hypothetical tool
supported this diabolical cleansing you propose, either on the way out
or back in again, would that have met your needs?

Either way, if you'd like to open a JIRA ticket that would be a good
way of gauging interest! https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB

A+
Dave