couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals for 2013
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 18:02:04 GMT
There's a lot of work that could be done to a lot of the internals of
CouchDB to clean things up and put us back in a place where we can be
quicker to innovate.

1. Rewrite the HTTP layer to not be a gobbledygook function call
spiderweb for request dispatching. Whether we use something like
webmachine or switch to Cowboy or whatever it takes. The HTTP layer is
entirely too complicated for what it does.

2. Cleanup the core database implementation. There's a lot of cruft
that's grown up in some of the core code that makes things
unreasonably hard to follow. Once you untangle the spaghetti you
realize that CouchDB is exceedingly simple, but not many people make
it through that initial learning investment. This also ties into #3.

3. Analyze hot code paths for dumbness to improve database
performance. Part of the code being complicated is that its really
hard to tell whats going on at various times. I've traced through
different parts debugging various things and have noticed a number of
lackluster behaviors (things like re-reading the btree root multiple
times for a single document update). Someone with enough interest
could start tracing through here and counting the ways we screw the
pooch on this count. I'm also still convinced that something in the
HTTP layer is an artificial bottleneck but haven't had time to
investigate.

4. Rewrite couchjs and the view server protocol. We've talked about
this for ages. Moving from multiple OS processes to a single process
that handles all requests for a given language asynchronously and
handles caching could turn into a significant performance benefit for
lots of database operations.

5. Rewrite the entire test suite. From scratch. In a way that doesn't
break things. There are some interesting ways to approach this. I've
played before with Erlang/Python hybrids for doing internal/external
testing. Nothing quite congealed into a cohesive platform but I'm
convinced that our current approach is lackluster at best.

6. Other things we've previously discussed. Rewrite the replicator to
focus on robustness. Change conflict beahviour so they can't be
ignored easily. Split couchapp stuff into a different project to
reinforce the separation of concerns. Remove metadata from doc bodies.
All the 2.0-y things.