couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comments threads on Github
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 19:58:04 GMT
I've actually been noticing a bit of a disconnect between GitHub PR
discussions and the mailing list.

I suppose I should finally tell everyone that as a bit of an
experiment I've actually been actively ignoring any CouchDB related
PRs to see how much discussion leaked through to the mailing list. As
everyone has probably realized that's been pretty much zero.

We've discussed a few times about having some sort of bot that relays
replies back and forth between the ML and the PR thread (which while
theoretically sounds neat, I don't have high hopes as every being
super reliable (though I would love to be proven wrong)).

Noah's email is actually a bit serendipitous as I was just researching
Git/Email/GitHub connectivity ideas the other night. Something
triggered the realization that we're spending an awful lot of time
discussing how to integrate the use of a tool written to directly
integrate with email to integrate with email (its right, read it
again).

That said I did a bit of research and it looks like getting Git to
send patches around via email is relatively straight forward. Git can
send emails directly and newer versions have direct support for Gmail.
If users have issues with their particular email provider there's also
documentation on setting up msmtp as an intermediary.

OTOH there's little to know documentation on how you manage the flip
side of things and actually do the receiving of patches over email and
apply them to a local copy of the repo. I've been looking at a few
tools to try and script something together that'll manage this
process. Not sure how easy this will be but I'm hopeful I'll be able
to knock something together. Also of interest is GitHub's "PR as mbox"
if you add the .patch extension. With a bit of scripting I reckon we'd
also be able to have a tool that fairly easily pulls those as well for
anyone that can be bothered to setup Git to send emails.

Anyway, just a heads up that I'm gonna start playing with some of
these bits to get a feel for how easy it is to actually send patches
around via email and so on. If anyone's interested feel free to chime
in.