couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Benoit Chesneau <>
Subject Re: The BigCouch merge, CouchDB 2.0, 3.0 and later
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:44:23 GMT
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Jan Lehnardt <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> It is time to think about how to square the upcoming changes to CouchDB and the next
> Robert Newson and I hashed out this plan:
> 1. Compile a list of API changes between now and after the BigCouch merge (
> 2. Ship CouchDB 1.4.0 with a `X-CouchDB-Deprecated: true` header for features that will
go away.
> 3. Ship CouchDB 2.0.0 with the API changes done, so it is API compatible with the BigCouch
> 4. Merge BigCouch and ship that as 3.0.0.
> Spread over our new quarterly release schedule:
> Early April: 1.3.0.
> Early July: 1.4.0. With API deprecation warnings.
> Early October: 2.0.0. With API changes.
> Early January: 3.0.0. With BigCouch.
> Alternatively, we can ship 1.4.0 and 2.0.0 concurrently, so the BigCouch merge work doesn’t
get a chance to get stale:
> Early April: 1.3.0.
> Early July: 1.4.0. With API deprecation warnings.
> Early July: 2.0.0. With API changes.
> Early October: 3.0.0. With BigCouch.
> Monthly minor- and patch-level-versions will continue as usual.

I'm all for the second planning, it's more safe imo.

> If we want to ship new features before BigCouch but after 1.4.0, we can roll 1.5.0 /
2.1.0 before 3.0.0.
> Anything up to the BigCouch merge should be trivial, so we can be confident we get that
right (modulo forgetting to deprecate something). If the actual technical issues to get BigCouch
merged aren’t done by October in the way we are satisfied with shipping, we can wait to
ship 3.0.0 until we think it is ready.
> In an ideal world, if 2.0.0 and BigCouch merge are API compatible, we *could* ship BigCouch
in say, 2.5.0 or something, but I think the underlying things change enough to warrant a full
major version increase.

I would probably do first the rcouch merge (ie rebar compat) then plug
bigcouch. Depends on the time we all have. Maybe we could set a
deadline (say mid-mai) to take the final decision on that?

> The only open question I’d have is how to square that against the ongoing work on bringing
rcouch in. I hope Benoit can comment on this.

I was more busy than expected these last 2 weeks due to a customer
urgency. Since I need the full patch for the IP clearance I will
finished it next week. Will do that before thursday, 4th April. I will
need some help to make sur that I filled the form correctly right

So far I think we can ship it for July and the 2.0.0 .

Bikesheeding away where do you place in the big plan new features like
websockets, test refactoring and plugin system. More than when do you
think they should be shipped in minor releases or major?

- benoît

View raw message