couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:12:50 GMT
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> My proposal includes that nobody is forced to use GitHub. All discussions
> can happen without ever touching GitHub now and in the future. My proposal
> was designed to take this into account. Please stop bringing this up as
> an argument against the proposal to send GitHub comments to dev@.

Is this thread read-only too ?

This is were is the issue in the proposition, it doesn't solve the
problem of the pr. We need to make sure that the ml is the main hub.
We can't just put out a partial solution because the balance will be
in disfavour of the apache ml:

subscribed to apache
1. can read the comments
2. can't write to github

subscribed to github & apache
1. can read
2. can answer to github

And we all know (because of the "social" nature of github) that the
moment we do that some will use more and more github and at the end
won't use anymore the means inside the apache foundation. and until
wee find a solution for the other way some people won't be able to
interact any more.  We aren't here to favourite one kind of users.
What do we do for others, do we also add their systems? What do we do
for companies that can't for any reasons use github?

So my point is that if we go for this solution (and if it's legally
acceptable) we must go with the complete solution, not a partial. Ie
we should have r/w the moment we start it. Not *eventually* later.

- benoƮt