couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:02:01 GMT
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Not trying to ignore it, Benoit. And I'm not saying I have the complete
> solution to all the things we talked about. I'm just yanking out one
> (minor) concrete suggestion and trying to get a green light for someone to
> play around with it.

Well, I don't see the need "to play around with". The fact is that PR
are introducing a one way to discuss about pull request except if you
also forward the mails from dev@ to github. (which can be quite
complicated). So people will have to connect on github to answer to a
PR or get the patch. This isn't a progress at all imo. More likely a
regression in our social contract with the community.

Having the PR on github is removing some part of our neutrality
against vendors since you have to sign in a third-party website to
participate. Which is in some cases not possible for some companies or
individuals due to their location or company policy. While having to
sign to an independent foundation ml is most of the time possible.

PR aren't connected to jira tickets. Is the next step to jump on github tickets?

PR is one more code code canal to follow. also when someone open a PR
where to answer? Jira, github, ml, ?

In short I would really prefer we kill the PR support asap and propose
a clear way to submit patches via the ml and jira. It doesn't mean
like you say, that we have to close the mirror. No. Having a mirror is
still useful for those who are using github, to fork the code and
having a... mirror. So it's not about killing the mirror, but not
accepting PRs.

I would add before any fan of github jump on me that this is not a
reaction to new things or being less modern. I don't think PRs other
than the UI are a progress. On the contrary welcome to the past. It
would be me i would just take the UI and put it over a mail thread, so
I would still be decentralised. Also, do you really think it's better
to put all the metadata of our code in the hand of a private company
rather than having in an independent system (backed by the foundation)
and your hands? We aren't speaking about the code only here, but about
all the things that come with: discussions, comments etc.

- benoƮt