couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Branca <chewbra...@apache.org>
Subject Fauxton Status Update
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:14:18 GMT
Its been some while now since there's been a real Fauxton update, and I
wanted to take this opportunity to make a few exciting announcements.

First off, I want to say thank you to the CouchDB community as a whole for
the fantastic uptake and collaboration on Fauxton, especially Garren Smith
and Ryan Ramage, who have been knocking stuff out left and right.

As of this afternoon, Fauxton has been brought into the master branch and
further development will happen there or in topic branches. We're pushing
for a preview or experimental release in the CouchDB 1.4 release, so please
check things out and add any bugs, ideas or feature requests to JIRA.

Also, Ryan has setup a live preview of Fauxton at:

http://fauxton.iriscouch.com/fauxton/_design/fauxton/index.html

and any topic branches named fauxton* will show up as separate databases,
ie the branch fauxton-cool-feature will show up as the database
fauxton.iriscouch.com/fauxton-cool-feature.

Speaking of branches, the cloudant-labs/couchdb fauxton branch has been
retired. The Apache CouchDB master branch is now the single source of truth
for Fauxton, and likewise, JIRA is the place tracking tickets, under the
Fauxton component. We've started adding various tickets to JIRA for open
issues and future development, variety of different things if people are
looking for

We've also been hard at work making it easier to get up and running with
Fauxton. All dependencies are now declared in package.json, and with
Garren's new dev server, you don't need to build a local version of CouchDB
to develop fauxton. The new steps are basically:

$ npm install
$ ./bin/grunt dev

and you're up and running.

All and all, Fauxton is cruising along. There is plently left to be done
and plenty of room for more hands, so please do take Fauxton for a test
drive and dive in!

Fauxton code and readme:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/master/src/fauxton

JIRA Fauxton component: