couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Branca <chewbra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: fauxton in its own repo.
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:15:57 GMT
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Ryan Ramage <ryan.ramage@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The problem isn’t that we can’t have them, but that coordinating change
> > sets
> > that span repos is a pain in the neck.
> >

> I think having a separate repo for the core of futon would be fantastic. I
> see a possibility of publishing fauxton into npm, and then in the couch
> tree just doing the final build bits of pulling from npm, and moving to the
> right spots in the couch build.

I think we should only separate fauxton if we're doing that with CouchDB as
a whole for the BigCouch/RCouch merger. I believe all of the 3rd party
dependencies have been brought in directly to the src/ dir of the
nebraska-merge repo, so I don't think we should set the precedent of multi
repo CouchDB with Fauxton.  If possible, I would like to see Fauxton
buildable from the top level make. We could also revisit this when there is
a working CouchDB plugin system.

Also, with npm install and Garren's dev server, it should be trivial for
anyone to hop into the codebase and be up and running.

-Russell