couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hahn <m...@hahnca.com>
Subject Please add me as a wiki contributor
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:01:36 GMT
I want to add a link in How-To_Guides to a new page on How-To-Do Partial
Updates.

Here is the code example:  https://gist.github.com/mark-hahn/5238514

Here is part of the discussion I took from a thread on the user mailing
list. I will improve it for the wiki page ...

--------------

The concept of a DB supporting partial update is to only send the fields
that need to change to the DB instead of the entire doc. There is a real
efficiency advantage to send a few fields over the wire instead of entire
docs.

There is also an advantage in having different apps (or parts of one app)
only know about some parts of the doc and never having to know the entire
doc.

One example: I have three different node apps that modify a single progress
doc in a single dB based on their work. They are only passed the doc ID and
their job assignment when they start and then they mark their progress in
the doc as they go.