couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 03:28:50 GMT
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> I consider this an edge case that I, again, am happy to find a technical
> solution for. Until then, I do it by hand. Making automatic two-way-sync
> a blocker seems overly zealous to me, when the whole idea is to get info
> to dev@ that is currently not on dev@ and clearly harms the visibility
> of the dev efforts of the project today (and as Noah points out for the
> past 24 or so months).

Automating this would be great and I would use it elsewhere. I wish
github had this built in.

> And now that we are bringing this up we get all sorts of FUD how this
> is bad and I fail to understand why getting relevant data to dev@ is
> in anyway bad and should not be implemented because there is some more
> automation to be done.

I agree that it's not a blocker to have only one way.

Plenty of projects use Github to coordinate development and still have
need for a mailing list. GIthub will not come to dominate dev@. As
long as we, eventually, deliver 2-way sync, we ensure that no one is
barred from contributing to the bulk of conversation.

This is a fun problem, but arguing about it isn't.

+1 on PRs to dev@
+1 on Jan taking point to deliver 2-way
-0 on him doing it manually for any period of time. Don't do this
unless you want to :).