couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2013 03:58:28 GMT
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Nathan Stott <nrstott@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a CouchDB fan who has been using it since v0.8 here. I read this list
> a lot and want to chime in on this topic.  To be blunt, those who are
> arguing to ignore pull requests or trying to keep Noah from taking his
> suggested steps are being obtuse.  The tone of this discussion and the
> attitude towards pull requests from some contributors looks extremely bad.

I don't see anyone arguing for ignoring them.

On the other hand, I very much sympathize with Benoit in many ways.

There are two alternatives that I like.

1) Don't allow pull requests. I mean don't *allow*. As in, there is
literally no place to make one in the Github UI.
2) PR comments to go to dev@. Replies to that thread become PR comments somehow.

If I get an email through dev@ about a PR I don't want to go to Github
to reply, I want to respond to the email.

Number 2 is the best, IMO. But without *two way* sync, the discussion
doesn't feel smooth to me. In the absence of that, I would prefer no
pull requests than one-directional pull request*, and say "contribute
through these accepted methods". Unfortunately, I don't think the
first option is *possible*. Therefore, we cannot stop people from
making pull requests, and we can't ignore them, so one direction is
better than no direction.

If we can't turn off the ability to make a pull request at all, I
think we go forward with comment sync and hopefully we get to full,
two-way sync real soon.

* I hate the idea that someone can make a PR and, in order to respond,
one has to have a Github account. That feels like it violates the
spirit of our vendor neutrality. People can always discuss things
elsewhere (G+, Twitter, whatever), but to have an "official" channel
like apache/couchdb on Github and not discourage contributions through
that channel we should support it in both directions without pushing
everyone to use Github.