couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:22:01 GMT

On Mar 18, 2013, at 19:19 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 18, 2013, at 18:57 , Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wickedgrey@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Every single email I get from a github pull request contains a header like:

>>> And sending email to that email address causes the content of that email to
>>> show up in the pull request.
>>>
>>> Unless public repos behave differently in this regard from private ones
>>> (which is what I'm using when I see these), it seems like we can solve the
>>> content mirroring issue *trivially*.  Nobody needs to volunteer to be
>>> online 150% of the time for anything.  If someone on the ML wants to have a
>>> reply appear in the PR, then you make sure the reply.github.com address is
>>> CCd.  If you don't, then just send to the ML.
>>>
>>> Is all of the discussion about github PRs unaware of this current
>>> email-to-PR-comment bridge, or is there some non-obvious inadequacy (in
>>> which case it should be spelled out)?
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out, I looked at this as well, but then had to write
>> lengthy emails instead.
>>
>> My 150% number is only to illustrate the futility of this argument.
>>
> Are you considering my concern futile? I'm starting to be really
> annoyed by the way you handle all of this. I passed sometimes to think
> on that problem before posting a response to a somewhat
> passive-agressive mail. I always said I preferred and I would be OK
> for a solution that propose a 2-way channel. And this is not a theory
> or anything (are you putting the hand on something hot before saying
> it's hot?) it is a a clear concern.  If we have a solution to do this,
> fine.
>
> Now I also said I would prefer to not use github PR at all and would
> prefer a simpler workflow than multiplying the code sources. I'm
> working on a mail that will propose something like this.
>
> - benoƮt

I have replied to all of these points in the past and I made my position
clear multiple times.

* * *

In the meantime I have contacted Infra to sort out the technical details,
I will report when I have more details.

* * *

Also in the meantime, two people have contacted me to say that they are
afraid to post to dev@ because of this thread. I am fucking ashamed for
us :(

My apologies if my behaviour here contributed to that.

* * *

Everybody, this whole thread is a really poor showing of the otherwise
amazing developer community around CouchDB. We value any discussion,
questions and viewpoints you might have. If you have any concerns, please
post them to this list.

Thanks
Jan