couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Javascript Test Suite
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:11:52 GMT

On Mar 27, 2013, at 22:05 , Wendall Cada <wendallc@apache.org> wrote:

> In 1.3.0, there is a new part of the test suite to run the javascript tests from the
command line. I'm running into various issues on different hardware/OS configurations. Mostly,
tests hanging or timing out and failing. These are really hard to troubleshoot, as they all
pass just fine if run individually.

> What I'm experimenting with today is rewriting how the tests are implemented to be run
one at a time from a loop in bash, versus a loop in javascript. I think the failures I'm running
into are improper setup/teardown. There may be an issue with rapid delete and adding a db,
or rapidly starting and stopping couchdb, but I think this is not what's happening in my failures.

> The nature of spidermonkey doesn't allow for spawning threads, or sandboxing, etc, so
it's hard looking at the test suite to see how I can improve running all tests. I think it's
far better to have the setup spawn a new interpreter for each test. Tear down will kill the
interpreter.

Thanks for looking into these!

I seem to recall from an IRC conversation earlier that you have crashes in `couchjs` that
are unrelated to the test suite, but triggered by running it (on the cli) and that CouchDB
doesn’t deal with the crashes properly and thus leads to subsequent test errors due to hangs
or whatnot.

Any logs you could produce for any failures would be great, of course :)

Jan