couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wendall Cada <wenda...@83864.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 05:05:13 GMT
+1 on sending the discussion to the ML.

Another thought is, if there was some type of consensus for what a good
patch request looked like, and was documented and understandable, a PR
on github could lead to giving the submitter instructions for the
recommended best method. Currently, it's very confusing for outside
contributors, like myself. I'm pretty savvy about all the available
methods, and still not sure exactly what to do. In the last few patches
I created, I made PR on github, and added the patches to the relevant
JIRA tickets. In one case, I didn't have a JIRA ticket for the initial
PR, so I created a JIRA ticket for it and updated.

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't matter what needs doing, just need
instructions for what needs done. The details are quite irrelevant so
long as it doesn't fall through the cracks.

Really without any clear instructions or method, the outside impression
can easily be misinterpreted that the contributions are unwelcome. I
know this isn't the case, but just being clear that it's easy to draw
incorrect conclusions when no clear evidence exists for any viewpoint.

Wendall