couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Garren Smith ...@redcometlabs.com>
Subject Getting started with Fauxton (Was: Re: Committer nominations welcome)
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:05:59 GMT
Getting started is pretty straight forward.

1. Clone the Couchdb repo: https://github.com/apache/couchdb.git or http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
2. Switch to the fauxton branch (git checkout fauxton) We will be moving Fauxton into master
soon.
3. cd couchdb/src/fauxton
4. Make sure node and npm are installed http://nodejs.org/download/
5. npm install to get all the dependancies.
6. bbb couchapp_deploy - to deploy to your local Couchdb instance (http://localhost:5984/fauxton/_design/fauxton/index.html)
7. Read the Readme.md and writing_addons.md and then todo.md for some things that need to
be done.

Understanding the code:
Each bit of functionality is its own seperate module or addon. All core modules are stored
under app/module and any addons that are optional are under app/addons.
We use backbone.js (http://backbonejs.org/) and Backbone.layoutmanager quite heavily (https://github.com/tbranyen/backbone.layoutmanager)
so best to get an idea how they work.  Its best at this point to read through a couple of
the modules and addons to get an idea of how they work. I would recommend starting with something
easy like app/addon/config then take a look at app/modules/databases. Each module must have
a base.js file, this is read and compile when Fauxton is deployed. A resource.js file is usually
for your Backbone.Models and Backbone.Collections, view.js for your Backbone.Views. The routes.js
is used to register a url path for your view along with what layout, data, breadcrumbs and
api point is required for the view.

That should hopefully get you started Fauxton. If you have any more questions let me know
and I or one of the other Fauxton committers can will help you out. I'm also in the couchdb
irc channel as garren.

Cheers
Garren