couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Send Github new comment notifications to the dev list
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:50:28 GMT

On Mar 17, 2013, at 13:47 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> Finally, please stop bringing up vendor-neutralness. This is a non-
>> issue here. The second GitHub starts acting in a way we don’t like
>> it, we can drop everything. Again, this is an optimisation for sub-
>> group of developers that helps the project overall without making it
>> harder for anyone else using other means *and* it doesn’t put Apache
>> CouchDB into a vender-lock-in situation down the road.
>>

> The vendor neutrality is not only about making sure that the vendor
> become evil. It is also about to make sure that anyone can have access
> and interact with alll the part of the project.  Github is a *private
> US company*. And some people for any combinaisons of these words they
> don't have any access to github. While the apache foundation is
> neutral by nature.

All of that is correct.

My proposal includes that nobody is forced to use GitHub. All discussions
can happen without ever touching GitHub now and in the future. My proposal
was designed to take this into account. Please stop bringing this up as
an argument against the proposal to send GitHub comments to dev@.

Cheers
Jan