couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "ASF IRC Services" <asf...@wilderness.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC meeting in #couchdb-meeting, Wed Mar 13 20:03:04 2013
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:59:40 GMT
Members present: benoitc, eckoit, nslater__, davisp, nslater, kocolosk, bitdiddle, Wohali,
damjan, sbp, emjayess, wendall911, rnewson, dch, chewbranca, garren

----------------
Meeting summary:
----------------

1. Preface

2. 1.3.0 
  a. R16B problem is the closest thing to a blocker with the 1.3.0-rc.1 candidate (nslater,
2)
  b. Wendall is doing some analysis of the test failures to determine if they are problems
with CouchDB or the tests (nslater, 2)
  c. Noah will hold the release, waiting for Wendall's results (nslater, 2)
  d. We need more testers please! That means YOU! (nslater, 2)
  e. dch to do jiras for any 1.3.0 issues (dch, 2)
  f. Noah to abort rc.1 so that existing issues can be fixed up, rc.2 to be done on monday
(nslater, 2)
  g. Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also (nslater, 2)
  h. Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also (dch, 2)
  i. Noah to abort rc.1 so that existing issues can be fixed up, rc.2 to be done on monday
(dch, 2)
  j. dch to raise mochi upgrade on list (dch, 2)

3. fauxtoneers
  a. chewbranca did some springcleaning and we have a bunch of commits coming onboard for
fauxton (dch, 3)
  b. chewbranca to clean up the cloudantlabs git branch as part of moving to asf repo (dch,
3)
  c. reminder that there is a process for proposing committers announced on dev@ by nslater
recently, feel free to use it (dch, 3)
  d. chewbranca is da man (dch, 3)
  e. ongoing discussion on dev@ about whether IP Clearance is needed for recent PR (nslater__,
3)
  f. resolve IP clearance discussion on ML (dch, 3)
  g. Noah to do less back-seat Chairing of these IRC meetings (he blames the red bull) (nslater__,
3)
  h. dch to ask JasonSmith about hosting that couchapp. (dch, 3)
  i. dch to check what options are available for an ASF hosted couch to host fauxton (dch,
3)

4. nebraska merge
  a. dch hopes to tackle the build chain next week. (dch, 4)
  b. dch to open a jira to sort out requirements for rebarised build chain in an asf world
(dch, 4)


--------
Actions:
--------
- dch to do jiras for any 1.3.0 issues (dch, 20:13:56)
- Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also (dch, 20:23:21)
- Noah to abort rc.1 so that existing issues can be fixed up, rc.2 to be done on monday (dch,
20:23:30)
- dch to raise mochi upgrade on list (dch, 20:28:05)
- chewbranca to clean up the cloudantlabs git branch as part of moving to asf repo (dch, 20:40:23)
- resolve IP clearance discussion on ML (dch, 20:41:24)
- Noah to do less back-seat Chairing of these IRC meetings (he blames the red bull) (nslater__,
20:41:46)
- dch to ask JasonSmith about hosting that couchapp. (dch, 20:43:46)
- dch to check what options are available for an ASF hosted couch to host fauxton (dch, 20:47:46)
- dch to open a jira to sort out requirements for rebarised build chain in an asf world (dch,
20:53:09)

IRC log follows:


# 1. Preface #
20:03:26 [nslater]: oops sorry. back-seat chairing again :) hehe
20:03:33 [nslater]: ACTION sits on hands
20:03:43 [wendall911]: [on] raises hand
20:03:49 [dch]: ping davisp kocolosk  nslater  rnewson  bartender bigbluehat  chewbranca 
crewmoss  daleharvey drsm79  eckoit  emjayess  garren  jez0990_  Kxepal  mikewallace  sbisbee
sbp  svni vmx  wendall911 Wohali 
20:03:58 [garren]: hi
20:04:04 [Wohali]: sup g
20:04:05 [eckoit]: howdy
20:04:11 [dch]: hi everybody!
20:04:11 [chewbranca]: ACTION waves
20:04:18 [dch]: topics please!
20:04:18 [emjayess]: \m/
20:04:21 [dch]: ACTION waves back
20:04:26 [kocolosk]: hah
20:05:11 [davisp]: alo
20:05:12 [sbp]: hi dch
20:05:33 [dch]: um topic of the day, 1.3.0, a whip round on what people are up to would be
great (davisp / rnewson if you have a royal flag to wave), chewbranca and garren our loyal
futoneers also
20:05:41 [dch]: shall we start?


# 2. 1.3.0  #
20:06:11 [davisp]: dch: St Andrew's Cross just to screw with rnewson I think
20:06:33 [nslater]: hi guys
20:06:34 [dch]: so far do we have any new blockers from 1.3.0?
20:06:51 [nslater]: well, lemme give a summary of where things stand from my pov
20:06:58 [nslater]: 1. not enough votes!
20:07:03 [rnewson]: the R16B problem is the closest to a blocker.
20:07:06 [dch]: I have my spidermonkey bug to fix, but strictly speaking that's "upstream"
in my build script. I will have that fixed tonight.
20:07:19 [nslater]: okay... we have enough votes... technically. but i really want to see
more votes from people. pmc members. committers
20:07:27 [nslater]: i am not sure we actually have 3 +1 votes from the pmc
20:07:33 [nslater]: we cannot release without that
20:07:34 [dch]: rnewson: I don't rate that as a blocker. But its bloody annoying I agree.

20:07:48 [nslater]: 2. failing tests - wendall911 is doing some analysis for us
20:07:58 [nslater]: he's trying to verify whether the bug is with the test suite or with couchdb
20:08:13 [nslater]: it might be the case that the tests are exposing buggy behaviour in couchdb
itself under certain vm conditions
20:08:19 [Wohali]: if ${NEXT_RELEASE} comes out quickly with R16B, I'll +1 as soon as I run
my tests here.
20:08:19 [wendall911]: yeah, working on some ideas there. So far looks like just test suite,
nothing that would be a blocker
20:08:26 [nslater]: he's gonna let us know once he has something
20:08:33 [nslater]: i am going to hold the release until we know for sure
20:08:42 [rnewson]: I can test at the weekend or next week, but not this week.
20:08:56 [dch]: nebraska all the way rnewson 
20:09:04 [nslater]: rnewson: loooks like we might be waiting until then - depends on wendall911

20:09:11 [nslater]: again, big thanks wendall911...
20:09:20 [nslater]: Wohali: i really really hope so
20:09:33 [dch]: so what are we trying to check again with centos/redhat etc?
20:09:34 [nslater]: i dont know the state of the binaries
20:09:51 [wendall911]: dch: did you figure out your failure?
20:09:55 [nslater]: dch well - i dont get any errors on os x - but when i build on ubuntu
on aws, i get loads of really weird errors
20:09:55 [dch]: I had significantly less issues by using the cloudant javascript libraries,
but I am not sure if that counts as cheating.
20:10:02 [wendall911]: I didn't see anything from tilgovi yet
20:10:09 [nslater]: dch so we were figuring that being inside a vm might be causing something
to go a bit haywire
20:10:24 [dch]: would it make sense to turn these into jiras while we work on them?
20:10:24 [nslater]: dch wendall911 is trying to figure out if that's couchdb proper, or just
the tests
20:10:27 [wendall911]: dch: yeah, certainly issues are javascript related with my centos.
20:10:31 [dch]: right.
20:10:53 [Wohali]: so at the veyr least we need a story of "how to make this work on X"
20:10:54 [nslater]: dch post-1.3.0 - me and wendall911 were talking about doing some statistical
analsysis to get probability distributions for the test failures
20:11:03 [wendall911]: dch: what's of concern is if the view server can crash in the same
way
20:11:08 [nslater]: that should allow us to prioritise our efforts
20:11:30 [wendall911]: dch: (possibly) crash in the same way
20:11:37 [nslater]: dch wendall911 stated the other day if he can verify the problem is test
suite only, he will change his vote
20:11:52 [dch]: so Wohali I agree I intend to test each of 1.3.0 on core platforms post release
and update the docs accordingly in 1.3.x branch as we discussed in december on dev@
20:11:52 [nslater]: and then we can focus on the test suite seperately
20:12:07 [Wohali]: right on
20:12:37 [nslater]: #info R16B problem is the closest thing to a blocker with the 1.3.0-rc.1
candidate
20:12:59 [nslater]: #info Wendall is doing some analysis of the test failures to determine
if they are problems with CouchDB or the tests
20:13:15 [nslater]: #info Noah will hold the release, waiting for Wendall's results
20:13:21 [dch]: so wendall911 I'll do a jira for this then, are we talking about "autoconf
-> 2.6.3" , and the one where we see 140-attachment-comp.t failing?
20:13:23 [davisp]: nslater: and that patch to the configure.ac that was submited yesterday
20:13:28 [nslater]: #info We need more testers please! That means YOU!
20:13:30 [nslater]: davisp: i saw
20:13:50 [wendall911]: the autoconf could be considered a blocker
20:13:56 [dch]: #action dch to do jiras for any 1.3.0 issues
20:14:11 [dch]: I agree wendall911 
20:14:11 [nslater]: i am happy to cut rc.2
20:14:20 [dch]: did that not bite anybody on ubuntu or debian?
20:14:26 [nslater]: though i think jan voiced some concern about this the other day
20:14:26 [dch]: in fact has anybody tested yet?
20:14:33 [nslater]: dch we've not had many people testing
20:14:35 [wendall911]: it's a trivial patch, works fine for me just changing
20:14:41 [nslater]: which concerns me
20:15:03 [Wohali]: bad week for cloudanters, with the merge and fauxton and our own commonjs
support fun
20:15:05 [davisp]: Which bit concerns who?
20:15:13 [davisp]: Oh commonjs
20:15:14 [Wohali]: nslater wants more testers, davisp
20:15:18 [eckoit]: I am sad that the cors stuff has a few bugs, but it was experimental anyway.
I have a patch and I think vmx's patch will fix early complaints :)
20:15:18 [davisp]: ahh
20:15:18 [Wohali]: for 1.3.0
20:15:35 [davisp]: yeah, we should also hit up a build system thing and maybe a log shipping
thing
20:15:41 [nslater]: considering the amount of chatter about issues, we've had a very low number
of actual votes
20:15:41 [dch]: eckoit: this is good. experience shows shipping stuff gets a wider net of
test/dev
20:15:48 [dch]: davisp: I have a cunning plan for this.
20:15:51 [davisp]: dch: awesome
20:16:11 [eckoit]: dch agreed. I only caught it from the binaries.
20:16:21 [dch]: I will ask all committers to set up an MSDN Account, and use their free vm
in ms azure to run a giant couch botnet
20:16:33 [Wohali]: lol
20:16:33 [dch]: test all the things
20:16:50 [eckoit]: oh thats what that phrase means
20:16:56 [nslater]: so what do we do?
20:16:56 [dch]: ok so for 1.3.0 I have 1 thing I need a push in the right direction for, https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/50
20:17:03 [nslater]: is the consensus that we merge in a few of these patches and cut rc.2?
20:17:11 [nslater]: what about wendall's ongoing tests?
20:17:18 [dch]: nslater: I think we call off the vote.
20:17:26 [nslater]: what do other people think?
20:17:26 [dch]: commit the 2-3 things we have (and update jira as blockers)
20:17:33 [sbp]: I don't mind
20:17:43 [dch]: spend the next few days nailing down wendall911 's stuff and giving me and
anybody else a go at testing on ubuntu.
20:17:48 [nslater]: dch when do i cut rc.2? wendall, what's an eta on your analysis?
20:17:56 [wendall911]: yeah, agreed
20:18:05 [wendall911]: I'll have some info in the next couple of days for certain
20:18:19 [wendall911]: I'll bug dch about issues :)
20:18:41 [nslater]: davisp rnewson: if i cut rc.2 on monday - will you be able to test?
20:18:43 [dch]: specifically we see the test 77 in 140-attachment-comp.t  fail, badmatch
20:19:17 [dch]: which to me looks like etap couldn't parse the output.
20:19:17 [dch]: anyway
20:19:47 [rnewson]: nslater: next week, yes.
20:19:52 [dch]: did benoitc go to python?
20:19:53 [dch]: erm pycon?
20:20:02 [wendall911]: afaik he did
20:20:06 [davisp]: nslater: yup
20:20:06 [nslater]: wendall911: is monday enough time for you to nail some of this test stuff
with dch?
20:20:14 [dch]: I've not seen anybody testing on freebsd and I am not sure I can tackle that
20:20:15 [wendall911]: nslater: yes
20:20:38 [dch]: nslater: I'm ok with that, I'm not here over weekend at all, but my windows
issue will die tonight.
20:20:43 [sbp]: dpk could test on freebsd
20:20:44 [dch]: so I'm clear for rh etc.
20:20:51 [nslater]: okay do we have consensus to abort rc.1?
20:21:06 [nslater]: dch i am proposing to cut rc.2 on monday
20:21:13 [dch]: nslater: do you want me to send a note to the list re rc.1 then?
20:21:36 [wendall911]: +1 for killing rc.1
20:21:37 [wendall911]: +1 for monday rc.2
20:21:49 [Wohali]: +1
20:21:56 [nslater]: dhc nope i can do that i am the rm ;)
20:22:03 [dch]: aah yes.
20:22:06 [dch]: there is that.
20:22:11 [nslater]: in fact i am the only person with the power to abort it
20:22:11 [nslater]: mwhahaha
20:22:21 [wendall911]: nslater: any chance a 1.2.2.rc.1 can go out as well?
20:22:28 [nslater]: wendall911: yes
20:22:43 [wendall911]: that would be cool, would be an easy one to get done
20:22:51 [nslater]: #info Noah to abort rc.1 so that existing issues can be fixed up, rc.2
to be done on monday
20:22:58 [dch]: so where did we get to with R16B?
20:22:58 [nslater]: #info Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also
20:23:06 [nslater]: wait, those are actions. oh well
20:23:06 [dch]: I am not confident that it will be plain sailing.
20:23:13 [nslater]: oh?
20:23:14 [dch]: #actiono Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also
20:23:21 [dch]: #action Noah to do 1.2.2-rc.1 on monday also
20:23:30 [dch]: #action Noah to abort rc.1 so that existing issues can be fixed up, rc.2 to
be done on monday
20:23:43 [dch]: re R16B
20:23:51 [dch]: I would prefer we push that to a 1.3.1 or something.
20:24:06 [dch]: I see 2 issues on erlang-questions that suggest it would be better not to
upgrade anyway.
20:24:33 [wendall911]: I agree, not really a problem with any distributions at the moment.
Should primarily effect devs
20:24:43 [dch]: mac-using homebrew cowboy devs specifically
20:24:44 [wendall911]: affect :)
20:25:03 [damjan]: ArchLinux is also on R16B 
20:25:05 [wendall911]: hrm
20:25:13 [nslater]: so what is on 1.2.2-rc.1 that we're releasing again?
20:25:33 [rnewson]: just the rewrite loop fix?
20:25:41 [dch]: damjan: right, but that's not a reason to ship a significant release that
has a key dependency upgrade (mochiweb) that was never tested even on master branch.
20:25:56 [damjan]: dch: sure
20:26:03 [damjan]: just to bump it up a bit :)
20:26:11 [rnewson]: not even a bit.
20:26:11 [nslater]: is 1.2.x in a fit state for me to call a DISCUSS thread about it?
20:26:12 [damjan]: dch: though it has been used in rcouch
20:26:19 [rnewson]: ArchLinux's policy of packaging master branches is just insane.
20:26:28 [wendall911]: nslater: was a bug fix for redirects iirc
20:26:36 [dch]: I did have a look and steve vinoski's patch for mochi is a single, clean one.
It *might* be backportable as an alternative.
20:26:48 [nslater]: okay and the appropriate entries are in CHANGES and NEWS i hope
20:26:48 [dch]: rnewson: davisp food for thought.
20:26:49 [damjan]: rnewson: Arch packages upstream releases
20:26:56 [rnewson]: mochi 2.4.2 for couchdb 1.3.0 seems too much.
20:27:18 [rnewson]: damjan: but they don't care that the set of packages work together, which,
to me, is the definition of a distribution.
20:27:18 [davisp]: dch: which bit? the mochi thing?
20:27:26 [dch]: yup.
20:27:41 [davisp]: dunno the specifics
20:27:48 [damjan]: rnewson: they do. in the case of erlang vs CouchDB I think Erlang had the
priority
20:27:48 [davisp]: I'd lean towards rnewson on this saying its a bit soon to upgrade
20:27:56 [nslater]: anything else to discuss here?
20:27:56 [dch]: https://github.com/mochi/mochiweb/commit/23a1d48665c615a6f4751041deedd3925a3e00f8
20:28:03 [damjan]: it IS a leading edge distro, I woulnd't run a server on it
20:28:03 [nslater]: or should we swithc topics?
20:28:05 [dch]: #action dch to raise mochi upgrade on list
20:28:18 [dch]: nslater: yup I think we are ready to move topix
20:28:26 [dch]: next topic? anybody?
20:28:27 [nslater]: okay
20:28:33 [rnewson]: damjan: that doesn't make sense. They *don't* care about making them work
together if they have a "priority" of including an incompatible erlang release.
20:28:33 [nslater]: yep!
20:28:41 [nslater]: fauxton contributions
20:28:48 [dch]: #fauxtoneers


# 3. fauxtoneers #
20:28:48 [rnewson]: anyway, ArchLinux is not our problem, or a driver in our release decision.
20:29:13 [nslater]: very quick summary of my conversation with chewbranca today
20:29:26 [nslater]: oh god i am lagging like crazy this is going to make this hard
20:29:48 [nslater]: i believe that the recent PR is large enough to trigger IP Clearance
20:29:56 [nslater]: i propose we establish consensus in that thread
20:30:18 [nslater]: hmm all my messages are being dropped
20:30:43 [rnewson]: I'm seeing your messages.
20:30:49 [nslater]: hello?
20:30:49 [wendall911]: same
20:30:49 [dch]: nslater: I'm getting that.
20:30:58 [rnewson]: I don't think this change is enough to warrant an IP clearance thing.
20:31:13 [nslater]: how do you know if you're seeing my messages?
20:31:18 [rnewson]: and I do agree this work should occur on an ASF branch so we can see it
as it happens.
20:31:20 [nslater]: one second while i switch clients
20:31:21 [rnewson]: nslater: inference.
20:31:25 [dch]: nslater:  we answer them :D
20:31:32 [nslater__]: hello
20:31:32 [dch]: and we have mind-reading powers
20:31:35 [nslater__]: okay this is working better
20:31:39 [dch]: wat
20:31:39 [nslater__]: right quick summary
20:31:39 [rnewson]: we could just pretend we can't hear him.
20:31:46 [rnewson]: again?
20:31:56 [nslater__]: i think the fauxton pr is substantial enough that we need to have a
conversation about ip clearance
20:32:08 [nslater__]: there is a thread on the dev@ list now where we should attempt to establish
consensus and move on
20:32:16 [rnewson]: [15:30:58] <+rnewson>	 I don't think this change is enough to warrant
an IP clearance thing.
20:32:23 [sbp]: nslater__: all your messages came through, by the way
20:32:23 [sbp]: no need to recap
20:32:31 [nslater__]: sbp i have no idea what made it
20:32:38 [dch]: nslater: disagree. but I think we should make the effort to move development
to the asf branch, now that the relevant people have the power.
20:32:38 [nslater__]: you have no idea what "all" means
20:32:46 [rnewson]: [15:31:14] <+rnewson>	 and I do agree this work should occur on
an ASF branch so we can see it as it happens.
20:32:46 [sbp]: everything, because the last line was that you're changing clients
20:32:55 [nslater__]: sbp i believe that my client literally just missed a few things
20:33:01 [nslater__]: unimportant
20:33:16 [nslater__]: rnewson, dch, davisp lets move this to the ML
20:33:16 [nslater__]: we can make our arguemnts there
20:33:31 [nslater__]: if we decide to do it i will manage the whole process and get it done
ASAP
20:33:31 [nslater__]: if we done, then cool
20:33:39 [dch]: +1
20:33:48 [nslater__]: something else to mention is that i think we agreed a way forward post-this-PR
20:33:53 [chewbranca]: I'll defer to whatever consensus is reached about ip clearance, and
do whatever needs to be done, with the note that the intention was definitely not to require
a separate ip clearance dump, nor did I consider this commit substantial enough to warrant
that
20:34:01 [nslater__]: with all major work being done on a branch on the ASF repos directly
20:34:08 [chewbranca]: I would like to talk briefly about fauxton though
20:34:08 [dch]: chewbranca: sure
20:34:15 [dch]: chewbranca: you have the floor
20:34:31 [nslater__]: chewbranca i am not the final arbiter here. i just think its big enough
that we need a conversation about it
20:34:46 [nslater__]: chewbranca i am happy to accede to consensus on the list
20:35:08 [bitdiddle]: nslater__: jsut voted on your request on the ml
20:35:23 [nslater__]: bitdiddle we should have a discussion before we vote on anything
20:35:30 [dch]: chewbranca: go ahead
20:35:32 [chewbranca]: so I wanted to announce today that we will be deleting the cloudant-labs/couchdb
fauxton repo, and will be working directly with the asf repo, although we will now be changing
the workflow slightly to ensure we as committers work on topic branches in the asf repo
20:35:38 [nslater__]: votes are typically used as a way of demonstrating consensus that has
already been reached
20:35:46 [nslater__]: chewbranca thxthx \o/
20:35:55 [dch]: awesome
20:36:16 [chewbranca]: and I would also like to say that this is not a result of the issues
today, but rather what caused them, the PR I sent this morning was basically some spring cleaning
to get everything in place to switch over to using the ASF repo as the primary source of fauxton
truth
20:36:31 [nslater__]: i would like to add that we talked about deathbear contributing through
frequent PRs
20:36:46 [nslater__]: and also that i getting her a commit bit will be a priority for us
20:36:53 [chewbranca]: we've also been adding new issues and todo items to jira, and will
get all the thigns moved there
20:37:01 [benoitc]: mmm odd
20:37:08 [chewbranca]: so for anyone interested in fauxton stuff, everything will be in the
asf repo and jira from here on out
20:37:08 [benoitc]: i couldn't speak at all here
20:37:45 [chewbranca]: and rnewson, we'll only have topic branches created outside of the
asf repo by non committers, namely deathbear
20:38:00 [dch]: chewbranca: great! feel free to propose "deathbear" - nslater__ put a thread
out on how to do that recently
20:38:23 [nslater__]: dch i would like to see deathbear contribute over a period of weeks
before the nomination
20:38:33 [nslater__]: (tbh the nomination would likely not be necesssary at that stage)
20:38:46 [chewbranca]: dch: thanks, sounds good and we can wait a bit until she has some PRs
going
20:39:02 [nslater__]: dch you happy to #info and #action this up?
20:39:23 [nslater__]: bitdiddle replied :)
20:39:31 [nslater__]: bitdiddle your point is an annoyingly good one :)
20:39:40 [dch]: #info chewbranca did some springcleaning and we have a bunch of commits coming
onboard for fauxton
20:39:55 [nslater__]: (i dunno why i say annoyingly. its my legwork im fighting to... eh...
increase)
20:40:23 [dch]: #action chewbranca to clean up the cloudantlabs git branch as part of moving
to asf repo
20:40:47 [chewbranca]: dch: already done with the PR
20:40:49 [dch]: #info reminder that there is a process for proposing committers announced
on dev@ by nslater recently, feel free to use it
20:41:01 [dch]: #info chewbranca is da man
20:41:08 [chewbranca]: ;-)
20:41:08 [nslater__]: #info ongoing discussion on dev@ about whether IP Clearance is needed
for recent PR
20:41:24 [dch]: #action resolve IP clearance discussion on ML
20:41:46 [nslater__]: #action Noah to do less back-seat Chairing of these IRC meetings (he
blames the red bull)
20:42:01 [dch]: no worries
20:42:18 [nslater__]: im all out of topics. too many plates spinning. dont have bandwith to
think about anything else
20:42:23 [dch]: um is futon able to be run as a couchapp soon? I was feeling guilty today
for using the old one.
20:42:24 [nslater__]: ACTION steps back
20:42:38 [chewbranca]: dch: already there, bbb couchapp
20:42:53 [garren]: dch: bbb couchapp_deploy
20:43:01 [chewbranca]: ^^ :D
20:43:02 [dch]: chewbranca: cool I will set it up to build and see if I can get it hosted
for all and sundry to use
20:43:02 [eckoit]: dch last week we talked of having the build server push out faux ton as
a couchapp
20:43:08 [eckoit]: that you can replicate from
20:43:16 [dch]: I am so behind the 8 ball woto.
20:43:31 [benoitc]: bbb ?
20:43:38 [emjayess]: ya ^ bbb?
20:43:46 [dch]: #action dch to ask JasonSmith about hosting that couchapp.
20:43:53 [benoitc]: nah 
20:44:01 [dch]: bbb is the build tool thing.
20:44:01 [benoitc]: the apache couchdb project should have its own couchdb
20:44:08 [dch]: for fauxton
20:44:08 [chewbranca]: also, garren updated the readme with more info about overall architecture
and getting rolling
20:44:16 [dch]: benoitc: yes it should, where would/could we host it?
20:44:18 [dch]: on asf infra?
20:44:19 [benoitc]: and what is that ? a thing to use for thing ?
20:44:23 [wendall911]: ACTION agrees with benoitc
20:44:23 [chewbranca]: dch: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/fauxton/src/fauxton
20:44:24 [benoitc]: dch: yup
20:44:38 [chewbranca]: dch: ^^ readme in there should be able to get you up and running
20:44:46 [chewbranca]: eckoit: yeah I'm still +1 on having a couchdb somewhere to replicate
from
20:45:01 [dch]: ok so do we ask infra about that then?
20:45:23 [davisp]: I don't really feel like fighting that fight
20:45:33 [eckoit]: I was told we can get a pod or a vm. we would do the legwork to put a couch
on it
20:45:38 [benoitc]: mmm coulcn't we have a vm on infra ?
20:45:46 [dch]: whats a pod?
20:46:01 [davisp]: oh, our own vm would be fine
20:46:08 [eckoit]: not sure. I think its some vm type thing….
20:46:10 [dch]: I'll ask, that way davisp can reply innocently if he needs to.
20:46:18 [davisp]: yeah, I think they have a few flavors of vms
20:46:23 [benoitc]: dch: private host cluster
20:46:31 [dch]: sounds painful.
20:46:38 [benoitc]: i see that cloudstack is doing that
20:46:47 [benoitc]: well once it's configired it should just work
20:46:53 [dch]: davisp: whats the best way to do this? an infra ticket or an email? I guess
email.
20:47:01 [benoitc]: until we design a crash only couchdb that's it
20:47:03 [davisp]: dch: Not sure
20:47:19 [benoitc]: nslater__: may know since cloudstack already did that
20:47:24 [nslater__]: sorry
20:47:31 [nslater__]: please sumarise question
20:47:46 [dch]: #action dch to check what options are available for an ASF hosted couch to
host fauxton
20:48:01 [nslater__]: oh that should be easy
20:48:01 [nslater__]: if we need a vm we will get a vm
20:48:03 [benoitc]: nslater__: the question was how to setup a pod
20:48:04 [nslater__]: there's no fight
20:48:16 [dch]: feel free to tell me what incantations are necessary, and to whom
20:48:16 [nslater__]: yeah should be fine
20:48:16 [nslater__]: just reach out to them
20:48:23 [nslater__]: i have no idea. post to infrastructure@a.o
20:48:33 [dch]: done.
20:48:46 [dch]: any other fauxtronium for today?
20:48:47 [eckoit]: thanks dch
20:49:11 [chewbranca]: none from me
20:49:16 [dch]: woot
20:49:31 [dch]: um davisp rnewson any more bowling tales/amusing commits to share?


# 4. nebraska merge #
20:50:01 [dch]: huge thanks for davisp for putting up with rnewson's humour while they both
work on the mother of all merges
20:50:16 [davisp]: Its been hard
20:51:46 [dch]: #info dch hopes to tackle the build chain next week.
20:52:01 [benoitc]: which build chain?
20:52:08 [dch]: mainly to see if it works on windows, and then to think how we would need
to do a distcheck.
20:52:31 [dch]: benoitc: rebary/releasy bits. oh don't worry I will be looking into your rcouch
stuff too.
20:52:39 [benoitc]: i am just asking :)
20:52:46 [benoitc]: the connection is really bad today
20:52:53 [benoitc]: i blame the snow
20:53:09 [dch]: #action dch to open a jira to sort out requirements for rebarised build chain
in an asf world
20:53:16 [benoitc]: about rcouch. will finish it during my flight tomorrow to sf
20:53:26 [nslater__]: benoitc: how is IP Clearance coming along? need assistance?
20:53:38 [benoitc]: nslater__: coming later tonight
20:53:38 [nslater__]: cool
20:53:46 [benoitc]: actually i'm trying to figure ow to go to the airport
20:53:53 [wendall911]: Would be nice to discuss 1.2.2, I'm only seeing 2 resolved issues,
they sounded important to people, but not sure if it's worthy of a new release...
20:53:55 [benoitc]: all the roads around are blocked due to the snow
20:54:01 [benoitc]: (even the high way)
20:54:16 [nslater__]: wendall911 new releases are cheap
20:54:23 [benoitc]: btw are some couchers coming to the erlang factory?
20:54:23 [nslater__]: wendall911 this is our new mantra
20:54:26 [benoitc]: or pycon? 
20:54:31 [wendall911]: nslater__: cool
20:54:31 [dch]: cheap to build, yes. but we need to nail the testing.
20:55:01 [dch]: benoitc: let's keep on topic for a moment. we can do free-for-al in a minute
please
20:55:01 [chewbranca]: benoitc: erlang factory sf? I'll be down there and bitdiddle is giving
a talk there
20:55:08 [nslater__]: dch 5 mins left
20:55:10 [dch]: ack
20:55:38 [benoitc]: dch: ja. 
20:55:38 [dch]: any other topics before we close meeting?
20:55:53 [dch]: danke!
20:56:03 [nslater__]: not from me
20:57:23 [dch]: sounds like a wrap!
20:57:31 [Wohali]: ty
20:57:31 [nslater__]: cool
20:57:53 [dch]: no, thanks you all for putting up with my slow typing!


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message