couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@php.net>
Subject Re: Comments threads on Github
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:38:44 GMT

On 15.03.2013, at 22:16, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> downsides to it as well.
>>>
>>> There are plenty of projects not on GitHub and as much I as love
>>> GitHub I understand its not right for every project. And for people
>>> that really insist that GitHub is a panacea, I'll refer you to
>>> Torvald's rather colorful refutation of that position.
>>
>> There's a lot here, so I'll just try to summarize my position
>> that I am not questioning the INTENDED EFFECTS of ASF
>> Policies, I'm merely pointing out that the ACTUAL EFFECT
>> does not appear to me to line up with the intent. That, to
>> me, would be cause for HUGE concern and evaluation.
>>
>> I'm quite aware of Torvald's rants re github, and his reasons
>> for staying off. I've also suffered through my share of github
>> PR nightmares. I know from personal experience that to avoid
>> backlash, don't /join #git on freenode and mention github.
>>
>> However, I'm also aware that the same person begot git to
>> usurp the prior patches-by-email workfow that was in place.
>
> I'd like to point out that Git was written as a tool to make
> patches-by-email easier, not to replace it.
>
>> Perhaps also consider ranking the goals of the CouchDB project,
>> as contrasted to the linux kernel project. Near as I can tell (from
>> Noah's and Jan's priorities) community building and being very
>> inviting to new contributors is a higher order value than is, say,
>> perfectly formed changesets from established reputable
>> committers as per the kernel project. Github is a bit lapse on the
>> latter, but excels magnificently on the former.
>
> I would say that the intent is to make contributions as easy as
> possible and to that end enabling the use of GitHub as a mode of
> contribution is definitely a priority. But the issue I think we're
> disagreeing on is where the primary source of truth flows. In our case
> as is the case for all Apache projects there is a very specific and
> basic rule that this source of truth is the dev@project mailing lists.
>
>> as someone who's basically just wandering in (or by?) I merely
>> wish to point out that there are some impedance mismatches
>> between what I see people describing as goals for the project
>> and the resulting or rather pre-existing ASF rigor. What I get
>> back is "this is what we've always done, so this is what we'll
>> always do", which is fine. But in my eyes, it's also a risk to the
>> "longevity and provenance" of couchdb, and since I HEART THE
>> HECK out of couchdb, that is concerning to me. Personally.
>
> I think the issue here is similar to one I've seen brought up during
> my time trying to get Git into general use at the ASF. There is a
> large group of people involved with the ASF that share your opinion of
> moving whole sale to GitHub. The idea of that move has been
> consistently and uniformly rejected by Apache's board for a variety of
> technical, social, and even legal reasons.
>
> I also don't accept your premise that contributing via GitHub is
> significantly more easy than writing an email to

I don't accept that that is correct. If you are in the GH-flow (which has cost to entry) it
is SIGNIFICANTLY easier than emailing. Maybe not the act of sending a message after either
workflow is set up, but everything else around a pull request is a joy to use and none of
email is.

> GitHub does have some nice tools sure but not
> everyone can or is willing to use them.

Neither of us have numbers, but I am willing to wager a made-up ratio of 90-10. As long as
we do not actively exclude the 10%, there is no reason to make life easier for the 90.

Jan