couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:18:21 GMT
This whole branch is an experiment. That is the main point.

My **tentative** position is that V8 is a waste of time. We should use
Node.js, not V8. In other words, we should not change couchjs to link
against libv8.so instead of libmozjs.so. Instead, we should **remove** the
couchjs binary and build a 100% compatible node version. Again, this is my
*suspicion* but I want to explore it more.

Embedding V8 is, roughly, the same work as embedding SpiderMonkey. It does
not change much. We still depend on an obscure VM with a quirky build
system.

Maybe we should not embed JavaScript anymore. Maybe we should just depend
on Node.js being installed. Compare these two statements to a new user:

Option A: "To build CouchDB, you must have the the SpiderMonkey libjs
library installed, version x.y.z"
Option B: "To build CouchDB, you must have the V8 libraries installed,
version x.y.z"
Option C: "To run CouchDB, you must have Python on your system"

Everybody has Python installed! Yay!

So now, just substitute "Node.js" for "Python" and it is a similar
situation. IMO in a couple years Node.js will be nearly as ubiquitous.

--
Iris Couch