couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: All The Numbers -- View Engine Performance Benchmarks
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:01:18 GMT
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2013, at 13:22 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Very little difference in different implementations (because stdio is
> the
> >> bottleneck)
> >
> > Why stdio is a bottleneck? I'm interesting underlay reasons.
>
> It is actually not the the stdio, but the serialisation form erlang-terms
> to JSON to JS Objects to JSON to erlang terms.

My assertion is *before* benchmarks so it is useless (maybe even worse than
useless).

But my guess: sending all that data from userland through the kernel and
back to another process's userland. The protocol is synchronous: all
messages from couch get an immediate response. So you have two trips like
that for every RPC call.

But yes it could also be all that JSON CODEC work. Interestingly if that is
the problem, then my pet idea, shared memory, may not boost speed much,
since Couch and the view server still need to encode the RPC calls.

--
Iris Couch