couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@apache.org>
Subject Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:06:50 GMT
Hi, all.

Encouraged by my successful experiment with a Node.js view server, I am now
working on a branch, nodejs_couchdb, with the following properties:

* Remove couchjs from the project
* Remove dependency on SpiderMonkey, libjs, 1.8.whatever...all that is gone
* Remove dependency on libcurl
* (Thus, simplified autoconf version dependency Hell)

Phase 1: Dependency on a "couchjs" executable which you install via `npm
install couchjs`

Phase 2: Dependency only on a node binary

As before, with the exception of E4X, I expect to retain 100% compatibility.

This is an experiment just to see how things feel. I want to see how it
feels to stop saying "CouchDB requires
libjs185/xulrunner/spidermonkey/whatever" and start saying "CouchDB
requires Node.js."

## Status

I just got it compiling and ./utils/run runs but I have not tested more
yet. But check out my diff!

https://github.com/jhs/couchdb/compare/nodejs_couchdb

$ git diff --stat asf/master..HEAD
 bin/Makefile.am                   |    8 +-
 configure.ac                      |  141 --------
 etc/couchdb/Makefile.am           |    5 -
 etc/couchdb/default.ini.tpl.in    |    4 +-
 license.skip                      |    2 -
 src/couchdb/priv/Makefile.am      |   31 --
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/help.h  |   82 -----
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/http.c  |  698
-------------------------------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/http.h  |   27 --
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/main.c  |   21 --
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/sm170.c |  398 ---------------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/sm180.c |  407 ---------------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/sm185.c |  427 -----------------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/utf8.c  |  291 ----------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/utf8.h  |   19 -
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/util.c  |  294 ----------------
 src/couchdb/priv/couch_js/util.h  |   35 --
 test/javascript/run.tpl           |    2 +-