couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:20:06 GMT
> > On IOS and Android there isn't any stable release of nodejs today which
> can
> > be problematic. It is easier with v8 now but this is another topic.
>
> But we agree that this is out of scope for now?

This is a policy we should define imo. Do we want to think to a
cross-platform solution today (desktop, mobile & other) and if yes we have
to make sure it works or will we have different solutions depending on the
platform. We can also just ignore that part and let it for the future with
the possibility to switch again. I have no strong opinion on that but that
something that should be decided imo.

> >> insyaled
> >>
> >> Yes, I get that. But I contest that premise. The only thing that matters
> >> is whether Node is *available* on these systems.
> >>

> > Well not really. Some users have specific requirements for dependencies.
> > For example lot of centos/rhel users can't install anything coming
> outside
> > legal repos.
>
> Right, that’s why I am asking for a list of available node versions on
> these
> systems that we want to target with future versions of CouchDB.
>
> +1

> > My requirements  for a first try are:
> >
> > - sandboxing: no I/O accepted by default, no global variables, or
> functions
> > that leak content
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
> > - embed in our source code so we don't rely to external for that. and
> don't
> > ask to the user to check outside
>
> I think this one is debatable, but possible with Node (as opposed to SM).
> I’d file this for nice to have someday.
>

> yes just a short list while yiou were speaking about it. we indeed need to
have a concensus on that.