couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:37:12 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2013, at 15:52 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Paul Davis <
> paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com

> >> Right. That is kind of my point. CouchDB is a JavaScript thing, and
> >> nowadays people have a very well-adopted and well-understood JavaScript
> >> engine on their computers. Maybe it should just use that.
> >>

> > couchdb is not a javascript thing, This is a database in which one and
> the
> > default engine for M/R is using the language javascript.
> >
> > Not all developers have nodejs installed. None of my servers have it.
>
> The question is not if you server have it, but whether you could install a
> compatible version easily.
>
> I’d love to hear if you or others are not covered by
>

> https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installing-Node.js-via-package-manager

Well this is the question somehow. Today when I release rcouch or modified
bigcouch releases I can build them statically. I then only distribute the
release without any other dependencies than the system and without
requiring more rights than a user have most of the time. If not I have to
make sure I have the correct nodejs etc.

Also the point is that nodejs isn't so widely deployed or already insyaled
that some say.

- benoît