couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:26:58 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> Yes this is the problem. You are right. This is Jan's answer. CouchDB is
> already resilient to a few different runtimes.
>
> - having more concurrency for couchapps and view indexation
> >

> Love it, but out of scope in this thread.
>

> > Imo one of these problems can be solved by improving the view protocole.
> > think we could work on a new protocole. And while we are here really
> > document the current one as a specification in text.
> >

> Love it, but of scope in this thread.

But if we change the view server, we should also think about it.  For
example the implementation of couchjs in node is using fibers and try to
add some concurrency on a protocol (stdin/stdout) that isn't . Where if we
go to TCP or UNIX sockets we have natural system concurrency.  I am not
sure anyway why fibers are used there if it's not about pseudo concurrency.

> > The second, need some discussions. I'm with randall, I think that porting
> > couchjs to v8 is not that hard and would really solve the problem.
>

> I have working code. The test suite passes. I would love to see working,
> passing v8 code so we could compare and contrast.

That should be possible. I need to find some time too. couchbase has
already a m/r thing using v8.

> But what is your "problem" to solve? If you are talking about speed and
> concurrency and stuff, I think that is a 2.x discussion.

i'm speaking about easing the distribution of couchdb on a big deployment
Using v8 would allows me to build it statically and embed it in an erlang
release. The other advantage compared node is that I won't have to make
sure that nodejs is still running, not idling etc. In other word it would
reduce the stack.

> Can someone please specifically describe a "sandbox" feature? CouchJS
> passes the test suite. So what does the sandbox do?

did it many time. See my other mail where I tried to summarise it again.

- benoƮt