couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: All The Numbers -- View Engine Performance Benchmarks
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:03:27 GMT
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 13:22 , Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> * Very little difference in different implementations (because stdio is the
>>> bottleneck)
>>
>> Why stdio is a bottleneck? I'm interesting underlay reasons.
>
> It is actually not the the stdio, but the serialisation form erlang-terms to JSON to
JS Objects to JSON to erlang terms.

Ah, this could really reduce some overhead, but only from CouchDB side
and how much?

There are a lot of JSON libs for many languages, most of them that
cares about performance are ships as C libs and unbeatable by native
implementations (except JIT feature, but it's a rough edge case).
There is built in JSON support for Spidermonkey and V8 engines and I'm
sure it's quite good. While no one except erlang itself has good and
fast library to operate with erlang-terms, so this way if just moving
problem outside of CouchDB side to query server one - will it change
things a lot?

--