couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From david martin <>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:01:26 GMT
On 25/01/13 18:01, Jason Smith wrote:
> 1. "Install Node.js on your computer, by any means"
MAC / Linux typical
sudo apt-get install g++

sudo apt-get install git-core
git clone git://
cd node
./configure (needs M4 may fail for a variety of reasons)
sudo make install

1. Install cygwin.

2. Use setup.exe in the cygwin folder to install the following packages:
devel → openssl
devel → g++-gcc
devel → make
python → python
devel → git

3. Open the cygwin command line with Start > Cygwin > Cygwin Bash Shell.
4. As for MAC / Linux

(needs M4 may fail for a variety of reasons)e install
> 2. "Install V8 on your computer, by any means"
Download Google Chrome
It's free and installs in seconds

For Windows XP, Vista, and 7

or for linux typical
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

OK not fair, you say!

but spidermonkey  (or proposed v8 or any variety of other languages)  builds embedded in Couchdb
such as (rcouch) require no more than unpack the package and run.
full access to a javascript engine in sandboxed mode as at present.
According to benchmark by
v8 is about 4 times faster so it is worth while to change.

I agree with other postings, that it is great that you are doing this, and it will do no harm
and possibly great good.
Proper discussion and reasoned arguments are always required for progress to occur.

David Martin