couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From david martin <david.mar...@lymegreen.co.uk>
Subject Re: Branch to switch from SpiderMonkey to Node.js
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:35:05 GMT
On 25/01/13 11:18, Jason Smith wrote:
> My **tentative** position is that V8 is a waste of time. We should use
> Node.js, not V8. In other words, we should not change couchjs to link
> against libv8.so instead of libmozjs.so. Instead, we should **remove** the
> couchjs binary and build a 100% compatible node version. Again, this is my
> *suspicion*  but I want to explore it more.
>
> Embedding V8 is, roughly, the same work as embedding SpiderMonkey. It does
> not change much. We still depend on an obscure VM with a quirky build
> system.
According to Wiki

"Node.js is a packaged compilation of Google's V8 JavaScript engine, the libUV platform
abstraction layer, and a core library, which is itself primarily written in JavaScript."

"We still depend on an obscure VM ( so V8 is an obscure VM although it is
embedded in Node.js ) with a quirky build system."

Get rid of all quirky build systems, use rebar which builds everything AND
produces an installable relocatable executable package containing Erlang VM
and V8  VM and C routines as NIF's where required for speed.

So Node "is" V8 plus a lot more which is not required

--
David Martin