couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <>
Subject windows support, cross compilation, and build reuqirements
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:25:43 GMT
Hi all,

As you know I am working on porting some part of rcouch to couchdb to make
it more otpish and such.

Part of it requires to play with the build chain of couchdb and I'm trying
to list all the requirements and answers to the following questions. I also
would like to work on a one **reproducible* and **automated** way to build
couchdb on different platforms without requiring manual patching and such.

- Why do we need autotools? Part of the story is related to this "VPATH"
thing, but I am still waiting for a clear explanation not convoluted in
details or related to a man. Ie. what are the usescases in human words. How
it is used today. by who. Other is related to the dependencies check but
seeing how many people are using rcouch and build-couchdb I have some
doubts about the usefulness of that. Also autotools are really only useful
on linux.

- windows toolchain: so far i have these wikis and posts:

also glazier doc :

While I really appreciate all the efforts around it looks rather hackish
for now and I would like to help to make it more generic and easy to use
for others. So what are the requirements, quirks and problems found for
now? (I'm not speaking about couchdb issues). Can we have a clear list
about that ?

- osx build wit the desktop addition: how it is sorted to be
build automatically  What arre the requirements & co?

- others ? I know that some people worked in embedding couchdb on other
platforms. Having a list of the patches they use, why they aren't in the
project upstream and other details would be cool. For ex having the full
story of iErl4 and couchbae-android-framework of couchbase would
be interesting. But there are others around. I will also do my part on that.

Voilà. Improving the toolchain of couchdb would be a really nice goal for
1.4 and I hope we can achieve this in time.

- benoît