couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [4/6] git commit: Fix copy-paste typo, remove changes history for request object.
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 13:12:09 GMT

On Dec 3, 2012, at 01:26 , Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks Alexander.
>
> Jan, I see what you're saying. But the purpose of the docs is to highlight
> key information for end users. Just like we don't complain about
> duplicating logic in the docs (consider the "just read the code" argument)
> I don't think we should complain about duplicating change history. But
> obviously, only when it is useful for end users. Who, let's face it, are
> not going to go poking around in Git to find out when some attribute or
> argument was changed. And if we do expect users to do this sort of thing,
> why bother with the docs at all?

I didn’t suggest to remove that information from the docs or that people
have to “poke around in git” (this really isn’t as bad as you make it
sound, btw), just that we track this information in a system designed to
do that as an artefact of us doing the changes, rather than doing it by
had. We can extract the relevant information out of git and splice them
into the final display version of the docs.

Cheers
Jan