couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: branch names
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:33:49 GMT

On Dec 4, 2012, at 19:19 , Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> just a heads up, the scheme for branch names we agreed on
>> is: 1532-feature-add-docs No underscores. Please follow
>> this.
>>
>> The fact that the cors branch doesn’t follow this is a
>> historic artefact that I thought wasn’t worth cleaning
>> up, but it looks I was wrong.
>>
>> From now on, I will rule with an iron fist about getting
>> these details right. Current branches with diverging names
>> are exempt.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>>

> Actually we were agree to discuss that later a little more.

Nope, we made a decision:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201210.mbox/%3cDEC04DB0-172C-4517-8554-2BE049A2F606@apache.org%3e

that resulted in:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Merge_Procedure?action=diff&rev1=10&rev2=11

We can always change things as this is completely arbitrary. But we must stick
to one scheme. And I am tired of discussing this because we have a working
solution that doesn’t warrant any more bikeshedding.

> I do think we should distinct the issue number from the rest. And using an
> underscore was good for that. Not a big deal though.

The issue number is always first and an integer, the issue type is always one
of "fix", "feature", or other type we come up with that is a single word,
everything else is the short description of the issue. there are no ambiguities
and things are pleasant to read.

I’m happy to change this too all underscores, but not mixed. And we’ve been
through this and everyone who cared weighed in, so hyphens it is.

> Also something that wasn't discussed is how we distinct ticket or pr from
> github from the rest.  *If* this should be distinguished.

Please open a separate discussion on this.

Cheers
Jan