couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject My take on Futon.next
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 19:27:31 GMT
Hi all. I have over the last few days put together what I feel is another
approach to futon.next. It can be found here:

https://github.com/Futon/takeon-futon

I know that there has been a lot of momentum behind the fauxton work, and I
really dont want to fracture the community with a different futon. I simply
want to early on propose an alternate code base to start futon.next with.
Code speaks, and while this repo is still very much in its infancy, I think
it has good foundations to build on.

I ask that those wanting to help with the futon.next work compare this repo
with the fauxton repo here:

https://github.com/cloudant-labs/couchdb/tree/fauxton/src/fauxton

I surely dont have the time to finish mine. I would need community buy-in.
I want the community to decide. So if the community wants to go with the
fauxton style, that is fine with me. I just am providing another option.

So why do I feel this is a better style?

 - grunt-less. Grunt is powerful yes, but it adds a lot of procedural
overhead, and a lot of tooling.

 - less tooling. As futon next probably will be needed to be bundled with
the couchdb build, this style can be used with no node js dependency. It
also aligns with the work of the erica couchapp tool which may be bundled
with couch.

 - streaming. I took some time to get the example all docs working with
really large page sizes. This is done via streaming json parsing, and
virtual grid rendering. I dont think that backbone will work well for this.

 - style. It looks like a familiar web project that most can jump in and
help with.

 - context. Runs in 3 modes out of the box, filesystem, http, and couchapp.

Thanks! And I look forward to a flood of emails around this thread in true
couch community style :)

Ryan