couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: otp branch
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 21:23:58 GMT
On 10 November 2012 21:43, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK I have started the work to make couchdb an OTP implementation. Work
> is done here :
>
> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/tree/otp
>
> For now the branch doesn't build, only the configure step pass. It
> also doesn't support embedding in other OTP applications yet.
>
> https://github.com/benoitc/couchdb/compare/master...otp
>
> What is done:
>
> - integration of rebar
> - better detection of Erlang using m4 macros
> - couch_index, couch & couch_replicator are now full OTP applications
> with their own supervision
> - couch_mrview has been rebarified
> - Layout of the code is quite similar to the current one :
>
>    - now src/ contains full OTP applications.
>    - dependencies have also been removed from the source. A mechanism
> similar to the one in rcouch will be added to fetch the dependencies
> before creating the source tarball that will be distributed.
>    - couchdb has been renamed couch as it should have aways been.
>    -  couch_db.hrl is now in the include/ folder of the couch application
>    - couchdb find etc filess first in the release first. So a couchdb
> release could be relocatable. Of course this can be overridden easily.
>
> TODO:
>
> - Integrate rebar to the build, and build C code.
> - Add needed changes to create the final OTP release (add reltools,
> edit templates)
>

> Btw do we need to support all spidermonkey versions?
>
> - benoƮt

Hi Benoit,

This OTPification is awesome! It will make a lot of things simpler to
get my/our heads around also.

I think supporting 1.8.5 spidermonkey only is acceptable, certainly
for windows port it will be easier. Has anybody benchmarks, or is the
serialisation more of an impact than the spidermonkey version?

A+
Dave