couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Focus
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 08:30:20 GMT
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@php.net> wrote:
> I consider making a roadmap orthogonal to the idea of Focus.
>
> We absolutely must communicate our roadmap clearly.
>
> Then we can pick the top few things to focus on when we're done with the previous set
of things

While focus is a good thing I do consider it shouldn't stop us to have
normal activities during a release process. While a release is
important in term of distribution not all of us are based on it or
want to wait the end of it to work on next features. Some of us manage
their time differently. Some of us depending of their schedule and
will, can dedicace more time to couchdb than others.

Having a roadmap would help them to know if what they are working on
is part of the big plan or not. It also helps them if they need
directions for the feature they are thinking of since it can be
impacted by the big plan or have impact on it.

And speaking of it, focus shouldn't make us ignore or schedule
questions not related to a release for later. Thing is that life
continue during a release process and some still want to continue to
improve their applications while contributing to upstream (ie the
couchdb project) . And some are able to do both, working on the
release and next feature anyway. It's important to answer to questions
as fast as we can. Even more important than releasing. Releasing is a
matter of taking a snapshot of our current code at some point, so it
shouldn't   ask us more than "are we ready to release ?". Some who are
working on blocking issue then will work on them and maybe on the next
feature too. Because they can.

- benoƮt